Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Roni’s Banana Pancake Tweaks….

 panckaes_v02

This recipe for Banana Pancakes is absolutely, positively wonderful, you would never know you’re eating Healthy.

Here’s my tweaks – I add  1/4 teaspoon of salt, a splash of vanilla and use 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soy Milk (30 calories per half cup) instead of skim milk.  Ang told me about 8thContinent Light Vanilla Soy Milk, it’s so much better than Silk and lower in calories, too.  The only place I can find it is at WalMart.  It comes in chocolate, too, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I let my bananas get really ripe, until the skins start to blacken, then I put them, unpeeled in their skins, in a ziploc baggie and freeze them.  Then I remove one, let it thaw until the skin peels off, or if you’re in a hurry, put it in the wave for 15 seconds, then peel it, cut it into chunks and it will thaw in just a few minutes.  This works great, and you can always have bananas for recipes.

The batter keeps great in a covered tupperware in the fridge.  The top turn a bit dark, but just stir it, it works fine.  You may need to add a bit more soy milk, as it tends to thicken as it sets. 

I pour Mrs. Butterworth’s 35 calorie no sugar syrup on these.  It’s a wonderful breakfast!  If I want added protein, I nuke a couple of pieces of Morningstar Farms Soy Bacon, [1 point]. 

These pancakes are only 1 point each, and they are a great size!  The whole wheat flour gives them a dense, nutty flavor. 

I use a  1/4 cup to scoop the batter in a  skillet sprayed with Pam, to cook.

Roni has another whole wheat version without the bananas.  I haven’t tried it, but all of her recipes are wonderful, so I’m sure it’s good also.  Here’s the click.

If you go to her site to access the banana pancakes, scroll down to the comments.  People have substituted applesauce for the bananas with successful results.  I want to try them using pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, soon!  I love pumpkin pancakes…

sunny

No comments: